Students and volunteers
We accept school students on work placements and adult volunteer applicants if and when we have the capacity to do so.
At least 2 months ahead of your proposed placement date, please write to us (see contact us), including:
- Why you are interested in doing a placement here.
- If you are studying, the name of your course and the qualification you are working towards, the details of your school or college, including link person details (form teacher or subject tutor)
- If you would like to volunteer, the skills and experience you would like to share or improve.
- The dates and times you are looking for work experience.
Students and volunteers will be given an induction, including safeguarding, data protection, work and behaviour expectations and health and safety. All students have a supervisor, who monitors work, discusses progress with their school/college tutor and is available to discuss anything which is relevant to your experience in our schools. We have high expectations of our students, and hope that they find time with us rewarding.
Information for before you start
- follow our behaviour code
- remember you are part of a team
Arriving and leaving
- Be punctual. Students and supply staff should arrive before 8.45am. If you cannot attend phone 020 8520 4919 before 8.45am.
- Always wear your name badge or sticker.
- Always sign out when you leave the building.
- Hand in your badge at the end of the day.
Health and safety:
- All people working in our schools are expected to dress sensibly and practically. Those working with children should come dressed for spending time outside.
- Move calmly through the school. Remind children to walk if they are running indoors.
- Close the gates and the doors after yourself. Don’t allow children to open the doors. If a parent wants to come into the nursery, ask a member of staff to open the door.
- You may not change a child or deal with first aid. Please tell a member of staff if a child needs either.
- Children are not allowed to climb in areas without mats, safety surfacing or grass.
- Children are not allowed in the kitchen or laundry room. They must be accompanied in the Sensory Room at Church Hill,or the offices, Staff Room or Dining Room at either school.
- You must not carry the children, or handle them in any way other than by holding their hand.
- Take care when lifting heavy equipment.
- Use an elephant stool or the small steps if you need to reach up high, e.g. to put up a display.
- Encourage the children to help you pick up toys and games that have been left on the floor.
- Students' mobile phones are left at reception at the start of the day, where they are locked up. They can be retrieved at break times and at the end of the day.
- You may only use your phone on a break and in the staff room. People who need to contact you should call the school office: Church Hill on 020 8520 4919; Low Hall on 020 8520 1689.
- Smoking is not permitted on site.
- Tell the office staff if you see anything about the building or garden that concerns you.
- Sign out if you leave the building, and hand in your badge at the end of the day.
- Do not discuss information you find out while spending time with us unless you have consent from the child's parents/carers.